From: Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o>
To: daniel.pielmeier@×××××.com, gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Do I require static nodes?
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2013 14:04:15
1 On 27/11/13 12:22, Daniel Pielmeier wrote:
2 > 2013/11/27 Chris Stankevitz <chrisstankevitz@×××××.com
3 > <mailto:chrisstankevitz@×××××.com>>
4 >
5 > Hello,
6 >
7 > Portage recently told me this:
8 >
9 > * You need to add kmod-static-nodes to the sysinit runlevel for
10 > * kernel modules to have required static nodes!
11 > * Run this command:
12 > * rc-update add kmod-static-nodes sysinit
13 >
14 > Will you please help me parse this statement?
15 >
16 > Interpretation A:
17 > * You need to add kmod-static-nodes to the sysinit runlevel
18 >
19 > Interpretation B:
20 > * If your kernel modules require static nodes, then you need to add
21 > * kmod-static-nodes to the sysinit runlevel
22 >
23 > Q1: Is it A or B (or C...)?
24 >
25 > Q2: If it's B, then how do I determine whether or not my kernel
26 > modules require static nodes?
29 > I also had trouble to interpret the message and because I was lazy I
30 > just added the kmod-static-nodes to the sysinit runlevel.
31 >
32 > After searching a bit I found that this was added due to bug #477856,
33 > but reading this as well as the release notes for kmod I am still not
34 > sure if this is needed in any case or just if there is a modular
35 > kernel etc.
36 >
37 > I am cc'ing one of the kmod maintainers maybe he can explain what is
38 > meant exactly.
39 >
40 > @Samuli: You have added the elog message to kmod-14-r1. Can you please
41 > give some more information about when kmod-static-nodes is required to
42 > be in the sysinit runlevel? Thanks in advance.
45 If you have, for example, "fuse" as a kernel module, then you need
46 kmod-static-nodes in sysinit to get /dev/fuse and such
47 Also, if you have ALSA drivers like "snd_seq_..." as modules, then you
48 need kmod-static-nodes in sysinit to get /dev/snd/seq to appear with
49 correct permissions
50
51 So leaving kmod-static-nodes out, on a system that has modules, can be
52 dangerous because it's very hard to know offhand whatkind of /dev
53 entries the
54 modules will create, those two I mentioned are just the 2 most common
55 cases, there are hundreds of cases more
56
57 Adding it to sysinit runlevel on a system with modules is recommended
58 (if not even mandatory)
59
60 And adding it to sysinit runlevel on a system with NO modules whatsoever
61 is also safe, then the init script will simply do nothing and you can
62 ignore anykind
63 of [!!] it might print on boot
64
65 So you can leave it out, if you use static kernel with NO modules
66 whatsover, if you REALLY want to supress one [!!] cosmetic error during
67 boot that takes like
68 no time whatsover to the boot time
69
70 So basically... just always add it... It's automatically added for new
71 installs already...