From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Any way of tracing kernel freezes?
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2013 15:19:26
1 On Thu, 13 Jun 2013 17:05:15 +0300, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2
3 > add this grub entry:
4 >
5 > title=Memtest86+
6 > root (hd0,0)
7 > kernel /boot/memtest86plus/memtest.bin
8 >
9 > (Adapt the "hd0,0" of course to be the same disk as the one you're
10 > using to boot your kernel.)
11 >
12 > That's it. Now your boot menu will include a "Memtest86+" option.
13 > This is for grub 1 though. If you migrated to grub 2 by now, then I
14 > don't know how that boot entry would look like. I suspect it will be
15 > some 300-line monstrosity or something :-|
16
17 With GRUB2 you don't have to add anything. /etc/grub.d/39_memtest86+ is
18 created by the ebuild, containing slightly less than 300 lines
19
20 #!/bin/sh
21 exec tail -n +3 $0
22
23 menuentry "memtest86+ 4.20" {
24 linux16 /boot/memtest86plus/memtest
25 }
26
27 menuentry "memtest86+ 4.20 (netbsd)" {
28 insmod bsd
29 knetbsd /boot/memtest86plus/memtest.netbsd
30 }
31
32 This is added to your menu automatically by grub2-mkconfig.
33
34 This is one of the great things about GRUB2, it allows install scripts,
35 whether they are package installers or complete distro installers, to add
36 to your GRUB menu without disturbing, or even needing to know about, your
37 existing configuration.
41 Neil Bothwick
42
43 Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach him
44 to use the Net and he won't bother you for weeks.