From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Power management updates?
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2009 09:57:40
1 On Wednesday 24 June 2009 03:28:55 Mike Mazur wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 04:44, Alan McKinnon<alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > > On Monday 22 June 2009 15:56:47 Mike Mazur wrote:
6 > >> <SNIP>
7 > >> I noticed some issues with the power management setup I had when I
8 > >> upgraded kernels over the last few months. This past weekend I decided
9 > >> to crack down on this to see whether they could be fixed. I visited
10 > >> the Gentoo Power Management Guide[1] again and re-traced the setup to
11 > >> verify my system's behavior.
12 > >
13 > > Dump cpufreqd. Use just the ondemand governor instead and get rid of the
14 > > rest.
15 > >
16 > > <SNIP>
17 > >
18 > > That sounds like the conservative governor, the worst one of the lot. It
19 > > forces the cpu to rapidly change state, and do it often. Changing C state
20 > > is expensive, do it as seldom as you can. Just use ondemand all the time.
21 >
22 > You mean set the default governor to "ondemand" in the kernel and
23 > leave it at that regardless of whether running on batter or AC power?
24
25 Yes.
26
27 > >> The third issue seems to be with power management of my wireless card.
28 > >> I have the iwl3945 wireless card. In older version of the kernel
29 > >> (2.6.25 and before, I believe) this card was managed by a daemon in
30 > >> userspace. After that the driver was merged into the kernel. I noticed
31 > >> recently that the entry in /etc/conf.d/net (as per the Power
32 > >> Management Guide) causes this error when the interface comes up:
33 > >
34 > > iwl3945 does not (yet) support this to the best of my knowledge. It also
35 > > doesn't work here either.
36 >
37 > Alright, this makes sense I guess.
38 >
39 > Still one issue remains -- why are my RC states not automatically
40 > switched between default and battery even though my acpid setup is
41 > right and works (according to the log messages)?
42
43 The simplest answer (usually the right one) is that you are probably grepping
44 for the wrong string. These things are subject to change and there's no easy
45 way for you to find out when it happens.
48 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com