From: Jake Moe <jakesaddress@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Booting Gentoo from USB stick
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 08:44:44
1 On 10/09/2010 5:27 PM, Maciej Grela wrote:
2 > 2010/9/10 Jake Moe<jakesaddress@×××××.com>:
3 >> Hello all,
4 >>
5 >> I've been thinking about creating a Gentoo USB stick for install and rescue
6 >> purposes (and, of course, just to see if I could). I've mostly followed the
7 >> Gentoo handbook (I used a single 4GB partition for the whole system, and no
8 >> swap). I've used genkernel for the kernel (so I can have a multi-system
9 >> capable kernel). I've gotten GRUB installed and working. My problem comes
10 >> in after what I believe is the init process:
13 >> Gentoo Linux; http://www.gentoo.org
14 >> Copyright 1999-2009 Gentoo Foundation; Distributed under the GPLv2
15 >>
16 >> Press I to enter interactive boot mode
17 >>
18 >> * Mounting proc at /proc ... [
19 >> ok ]
20 >> * Mounting sysfs at /sys ... [
21 >> ok ]
22 >> * Mounting /dev ... [
23 >> ok ]
24 >> * Starting udevd ... [
25 >> ok ]
26 >> * Populating /dev with existing devices through uevents ... [
27 >> ok ]
28 >> * Waiting for uevents to be processed ... [
29 >> ok ]
30 >> * Mounting devpts at /dev/pts ... [
31 >> ok ]
32 >> * Checking root filesystem ...
33 >> fsck.ext2: No such file or directory while trying to open /dev/sda1
34 >> /dev/sda1:
35 >> The superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct ext2
36 >> filesystem. If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2
37 >> filesystem (and not swap or ufs or something else), then the superblock
38 >> is corrupt, and you might try running e2fsck with an alternate superblock:
39 >> e2fsck -b 8193<device>
40 >>
41 >> * Filesystem couldn't be fixed :( [
42 >> !! ]
43 >> Give root password for maintenance
44 >> (or type Control-D to continue):
47 >> If I give the root password, I can find no /dev/sda1. However, mount shows
48 >> /dev/sda1 on /, and there *is* a /sys/block/sda folders, with a sda1 folder
49 >> in that as well. It's almost like it had /dev/sda1, but then lost it
50 >> somehow.
51 >>
52 >> Does anyone have any idea what's going on here? Any help would be
53 >> appreciated.
54 >>
55 > Have you seen http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page ? It's based on
56 > Gentoo, you could check what they did to boot from a usb stick.
57 >
58 > Br,
59 > Maciej Grela
60 >
61 Excellent, thanks for that, I hadn't found it in my previous searches.
62 I'll have a look there.
63
64 Jake Moe