From: Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Getting in to the Funtoo Tree
Date: Sun, 11 May 2014 15:09:05
1 On Sun, 11 May 2014 10:40:35 -0400
2 Hunter Jozwiak <hunter.t.joz@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > Hi abl. I want to get the Debian-Sources kernel, as provided by the
5 > Funtoo tree. How do I add this tree to my Portage? They don't advise
6 > using the Overlay, and Google searching how to add trees just pulls up
7 > how to add overlays. Perhaps there's a section of the handbook I am
8 > reading past that will provide the answer?
9
10 Hmm, a tree is on its own an overlay; if Funtoo doesn't want you to use
11 it as an overlay, consider to contact them to ask how they expect you
12 to use it. They perhaps have a good reason as to why not; but given
13 it's just a package, you should be able to pull it from that overlay.
14
15 Maybe they mean the general advice to watch out that if you do add the
16 overlay, that you only use that package from it and not all; you might
17 want to mask the rest using /etc/portage/package.mask (something like
18 */*::funtoo) and then unmask that kernel in /etc/portage/package.unmask
19
20 Merging more than what you need from overlays is a recipe for disaster.
23 With kind regards,
24
25 Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
26 Gentoo Developer
27
28 E-mail address : TomWij@g.o
29 GPG Public Key : 6D34E57D
30 GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2 ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D