From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] favorite smartctl test?
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2012 19:23:39
1 >> I'm trying to figure out how far gone an old Maxtor HD of mine is.  It
2 >> does have S.M.A.R.T. support.  Is there a favorite smartctl command
3 >> for making this determination?  'smartctl -a /dev/sda' says:
4 >>
5 >> SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: PASSED
6 >>
7 >> and:
8 >>
9 >> ATA Error Count: 116
10 >>
11 >> Is a self-test in order?
12 >>
13 >> - Grant
14 >
15 > Run smartctl --capabilities /dev/hda to find out what tests the drive can do.
16
17 I ran 'smartctl -t long /dev/sda' and I get:
18
19 SMART Self-test log structure revision number 1
20 Num Test_Description Status Remaining
21 LifeTime(hours) LBA_of_first_error
22 # 1 Extended offline Completed without error 00% 16787 -
23
24 So I guess it could be worse. The system isn't crucial and it looks
25 like running it for a while longer is worth a try.
26
27 > If goes without saying that if you suspect the drive use ddrescue to make a
28 > back up before you start running any tests, just in case there is a problem
29 > that a new cable/ribbon won't fix.
30
31 Any way to narrow down the problem to a bad ribbon or it's best to
32 just replace it and see?
33
34 ATA Error Count: 116
35