From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Portage telling me what it's doing
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2012 08:43:10
1 Andrew Lowe writes:
2
3 > I've just kicked off an "emerge -NuD world" and will now head
4 > out for a while. My emerge has to do, amongst others, gcc, libreoffice,
5 > Firefox & Thunderbird. Now when I get back I'll want to know where the
6 > emerge is up to so, in my ignorance of portage/emerge in great depth
7 > and with only compiler output spewing up the screen, I'll fire up
8 > another terminal, and now don't laugh, I'll do "emerge --pretend -NuD
9 > world". That will tell me what's currently being compiled as it will be
10 > the top thingy on the list. There has to be a better way....
11
12 Using the --jobs / -j option to emerge will give a nice output, omitting
13 all the compiler output. It can also speed up emerging, because it will
14 build packages in parallel. I really really like this feature.
15
16 > Is there a way so that the terminal that the emerge is
17 > happening in can display additional info? At the moment, I get:
18 >
19 > /home/agl: emerge
20 >
21 > can I get, say:
22 >
23 > /home/agl: emerge www-client/firefox
24 >
25 > by setting some config variable?
26
27 Yes, but I do not know how.
28
29 > Failing that is there a log file that
30 > lists just what's been emerged, not a whole lot of "checking this,
31 > checking that, compiling this file, linking that library, whoops, error
32 > here..." sort of thing.
33
34 tail -f /var/log/emerge.log, or better emerge app-portage/genlop, then
35 use genlop -l | tail.
36
37 Wonko