From: jdm <jdm@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] XDM Start Faster
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2019 19:50:38
1 On Mon, 9 Dec 2019 22:27:40 +0000
2 jdm <jdm@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3
4 > Hi,
5 >
6 > Over the last couple of weeks my wifi connection net.wlp5s0 doesn't
7 > see to want to connect at boot up (It used to be very fast but now
8 > taking 1min +). Therefore XDM (login screen slim) takes a long time
9 > to start up. And LXD daemon doesn't start at all.
10 >
11 > I have my rc.conf set to rc_parallel="YES" but if I set this to "NO"
12 > then clamd seems to take an age to start up as well as the wireless.
13 >
14 > Is there a way I can get XDM to start quicker and leave the other
15 > services to start up whilst logging in. I can then set rc_parrallel to
16 > "NO" which I hope should ensure LXD starts correctly.
17 >
18 > It's only a minor gripe but feels like it's taking a long time to
19 > login. At least if I can get into desktop I can change wallpaper,
20 > themes and icons whilst my wireless decides to get a grip.
21 >
22 > Thanks
23 > John
26 After some testing this looks like a kernel problem. I updated kernel
27 to 4.19.86 and keep getting slow start up of wireless card during boot
28 process. Revert back to 4.19.82 and have no issues and PC keeps booting
29 in very fast time.
30
31 Think I'll try something newer as they must have done some wirless
32 network ath9k updates to 86. Deep joy. If it ain't broke don't fix it.
33 But maybe is for someone else.
34
35 John