From: felix@×××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo on System76 laptop, and Netflix
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2013 16:13:08
1 On Wed, Sep 11, 2013 at 10:02:20PM +0800, Guillaume Poulin wrote:
2 > 2013/9/11 <felix@×××××××.com>:
3 > > 1. Anyone have any experience installing gentoo on a System76 laptop?
4 >
5 > If it works fine on Ubuntu I don't any reason why you would have
6 > difficulty with Gentoo.
7
8 Right, in theory. Software is software,Ubuntu is free source software, the code should be avalable. But Ubuntu does a lot of things differently and I have reached a stage in life where using my computer is more important than spending inordinate amounts of time piecing together the parts that make it wrk.
9
10 What I was hoping for was someone who had done this and could report what specific steps were needed, what modules, custom config, etc. (Hopeing, not expecting :-)
11
12 > > 2. If I use kvm/virsh, is it possible to install a Mac image to watch Netflix streaming movies? Or, yecch, Windows, but I'd really rather not try that, as I haven't touched Windows for 15-20 years and see no reason to enrich Boll Gates' pension.
13 >
14 > If it's just to watch Netflix, the windows native client work greatly
15 > on wine. I'm not a big fan of wine but it's what I did for my sister
16 > on her Ubuntu laptop and she seems happy
17
18 That's good to know. Where is this native client -- is it a download from Netflix?
19
20 Last time I played arund with wine was back in the days when experimentation in oddball corners was fun. Now there are so many such corners, and so much that each can do, that my interests have moved up a step.
24 Felix Finch: scarecrow repairman & rocket surgeon / felix@×××××××.com
25 GPG = E987 4493 C860 246C 3B1E 6477 7838 76E9 182E 8151 ITAR license #4933
26 I've found a solution to Fermat's Last Theorem but I see I've run out of room o