From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Switching to unstable
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2010 23:12:47
1 On Sun, Apr 11, 2010 at 3:55 PM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > On Sun, 11 Apr 2010 14:59:07 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
3 >
4 >> 1) I don't see any mention of hald & dbus in the upgrade guide. I
5 >> currently have them turned on. Are they still necessary? I know hald
6 >> is going away one of these days. Is it too early for me to dump it.
7 >> Possibly dump hald before the upgrade, make sure everything is
8 >> consistent, and then do the ~amd64 work?
9 >
10 > Don't try to second guess what the system needs, just upgrade and do a
11 > --depclean. #~Portage will let you know if anything is no longer needed.
12 > You'll probably find depclean wants to remove a few things, but hal won't
13 > be one of them.
14
15 OK.
18 >> 2) Any problem if I do emerge -DuN @system and then make the changes
19 >> in the upgrade guide followed by @world? I've turned of xdm. I don't
20 >> have a UPS on this system yet so @system would shrink the window of a
21 >> power outage causing me problems. (It's pouring rain here today. It
22 >> will likely happen no matter what) ;-)
23 >
24 > Doing system first makes good sense. Then you can update your config
25 > files, follow the openrc update etc and then reboot. The world part of
26 > the update will take quite a while, especially if you use KDE or GNOME.
29 <hehe> Less than most PC. It's an i7-980x with 24GB of RAM with RAID1.
30 My first really nice machine in years.
31
32 Thanks!
33
34 Cheers,
35 Mark
36 >
37 > --
38 > Neil Bothwick
39 >
40 > Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.