From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Best way to improve interactivity with heavy disk activity?
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2010 15:59:36
1 On 12/06/2010 04:33 PM, Stroller wrote:
2 >
3 > On 27/11/2010, at 10:22pm, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
4 >>> ...
5 >>> Does using the ck-sources kernel reduce the necessity to use ionice?
6 >>
7 >> To some degree, yes.
8 >
9 > Tried this late last week. You chose your words perfectly - there is only some degree of improvement.
10 >
11 > The machine seems much snappier if I return to an interactive session after leaving it idle for some time, but during DVD rips it is still unresponsive for tens of seconds at a time. It seems like maybe it responds quicker than mainline sources, but it's still so slow that it's both unusable and hard to be sure whether that's the case.
12 >
13 > Will try cgroups this week, perhaps.
14
15 cgroups will not help with that either. I bet the problem is that the
16 kernel doesn't care about what kind of data it is caching. I came
17 across this on LKML, but no one was interested in a solution.
18
19 The problem is that the kernel caches all data. Ripping a DVD will
20 consume 4GB cache, and all other data will be thrown out. Throwing that
21 all out again after the rip has finished is an awful lot of I/O load.
22 The smart thing to do would be for the kernel to not cache such stuff
23 (DVD rips, big video files, etc.) But it does.