From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} rdiff-backup: push or pull?
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2011 19:59:49
1 >> Is the purpose of the Host block in .ssh/config to store the hostname
2 >> of the backup server so it doesn't need to be used directly in the
3 >> rdiff-backup command?
4 >
5 > It forces key-based authentication when connecting to the backup server.
6 > The default is password-based, which obviously won't work in a cron job.
7
8 I don't use an .ssh/config at all and I'm not prompted for a password
9 if the keys are in place. My sshd_config is pretty much default and
10 my normal user is prompted for a password.
11
12 >> Why create a password for the backup user?  Doesn't that open up the
13 >> possibility of someone logging in as that user, when otherwise the
14 >> account would only be used for backing up files?
15 >
16 > It might work without one; in these instructions the
17 > machine-to-be-backed-up never connects to the backup server as root, and
18 > so you need a way to SCP stuff to the backup server. I usually use a
19 > `pwgen 16` password for these accounts and then immediately forget it,
20 > so nobody will log in to them for a few billion years at least.
21 >
22 > Does key-based authentication work with no password? I've never tried.
23
24 It does! :)
25
26 - Grant