From: kashani <kashani-list@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Don't start a new thread by changing the subject
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2011 00:46:13
1 On 6/24/2011 5:09 PM, David W Noon wrote:
2 > On Fri, 24 Jun 2011 16:12:26 -0700, kashani wrote about [gentoo-user]
3 > Don't start a new thread by changing the subject:
4 >
5 >> I've noticed this a couple of times this week. A few of you
6 >> have responded to the annoying Fortran thread, changed the subject,
7 >> started a new message, and sent the email starting a new thread.
8 >
9 > You're a week or two behind the times. The root cause of this was done
10 > to death some time ago. It is the bofh.it NNTP server that propagates
11 > this mailing list through Usenet. There is nothing we can do except
12 > avoid using servers downstream from that rogue server.
13
14 My understanding is that the NNTP server was munging headers thereby
15 creating new threads where it should have been a single thread. This is
16 users responding to an existing email, removing all content, changing
17 the subject, and then sending the mail which keeps the thread headers
18 and make it appear to be part of the current thread. I see it all the
19 time on the motorcycle lists where the average user is much less
20 computer proficient.
21
22 kashani