From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] New install .. no high res console during boot.
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2018 13:39:22
1 Setup:
2 Installing gentoo-17 as guest in Vbox vm on solaris-11 HOST
3 (openindiana (powered by Illumos))
4
5 VBox 5.6.2
6 Kernel-4.15.0
7 grub2
8
9 I'm a litte confused about how to enable a high res framebuffer
10 console.
11
12 At gentoo pages:
13 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Xorg/Guide#Kernel_modesetting
14
15 I've followed the directions there as far as I could.
16
17 lspci on a chroot does not show a driver for the:
18 Innotek Systemberatung Gmbh VirtualBox Graphics Adapter.
19
20 And I find nothing about Innotek searching with '/' in menuconfig.
21 So could not make any specific settings like those shows on the gentoo
22 wiki pages for nVidia and AND/ATI
23
24 Other pages such as https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Fbsplash seem to
25 indicate I would need to create an initramfs.
26
27 The first page cited near the top of post .. tells you NOT to set some
28 of the things the citation containing fbsplash (above) tell you to set.
29
30 Such as <*> Userspace VESA VGA
31 [*] Vesa VGA
32
33 Is something outdate in one of those pages?
34
35 Can someone using the kernel framebuffer explain how to do it on
36 gentoo guest of vm?