From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Change Readline mode for all users?
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2017 13:48:35
1 > On 19 Sep 2017, at 01:30, Simon Thelen <gentoo-user@××××.de> wrote:
2 >>
3 >> Is it possible to set this for all users, please, so that this edit
4 >> mode is used for root?
5 > Readline is customized by putting commands in an initialization file
6 > (the inputrc file). The name of this file is taken from the value of the
7 > INPUTRC environment variable. If that variable is unset, the default is
8 > ~/.inputrc. If that file does not exist or cannot be read, the ultimate
9 > default is /etc/inputrc.
10 >
11 >> I find that my pager and editor are set in /etc/env.d/99pager and
12 >> /etc/env.d/99editor respectively, but creating a
13 >> /etc/env.d/99bashlineediting file containing "set -o vi" doesn't seem
14 >> to work.
15 > Either "set-editing-mode vi" in /etc/inputrc for all readline programs
16 > or in /etc/bash/bashrc (for bash-only)
17
18 I looked at /etc/inputrc, and its existing contents are of a different format.
19
20 Where all the other lines are of the form:
21 "\eOH": beginning-of-line
22 "\eOF": end-of-line
23 it felt a bit wrong to be adding "set-editing-mode vi". Hence me asking here. Is it foolish of me to think this?
24
25 Stroller.