From: Bill Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] The memory gremlin
Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2018 21:48:39
1 On 10/08/18 02:00, Mick wrote:
2 > On Thursday, 9 August 2018 17:32:33 BST Alan Grimes wrote:
3 >> [resend, list was down...]
4 >>
5 >> I've been meditating on the memory gremlin on my system...
6 >>
7 >> The ram is Corsair, 3000mhz. (never had any problem with their sticks in
8 >> any system ever.)
9 >>
10 >> Motherboard is an early release mini-ATX B350 board from Asus...
11 >>
12 >> Chip is a R7 1800X
13 >>
14 >> The pattern is: all cells test good on memcheck but occasionally there
15 >> is a bit error somewhere. I think it is a signaling issue between the
16 >> ram module and the memory interface in the cpu.
17 >>
18 >> After meditating on it, I don't think there's anything I can do about it
19 >> given the STUPID settings the BIOS goes to... The problem with the BIOS
20 >> is that it considers only what the RAM tells it, it does not take into
21 >> account that the CPU is rated at 2667mhz... Well there's the answer,
22 >> this is AMD's first product with DDR4 support, and it's not super
23 >> awesome so simply acknowledging the limitation there, and setting the
24 >> memory interface to 2666 (which is what the BIOS offers), it won't be
25 >> super fast but it damn well should work. =|
26 > Keep an eye on MoBo firmware updates, Asus are usually OK in providing updates
27 > to stabilise their chipsets, as long as the bugs are fixable in software.
28 >
29 > Also, if the BIOS offers DRAM timing settings increase the latency a notch and
30 > see if that helps.
31 >
32 If you can locate it to a location range, you can use a kernel argument
33 to exclude that area of memory.  The hard part is to map the range.  Had
34 one system running that way for years.
35
36 BillK