From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: why does Udisks require Lvm2 ?
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2019 14:52:08
1 On Mon, 24 Jun 2019 08:32:51 -0500, »Q« wrote:
2
3 > > > use.local.desc:sys-fs/lvm2:device-mapper-only - Build only
4 > > > device-mapper and not the rest of LVM2 (UNSUPPORTED)
5 > >
6 > > Aha!
7 > >
8 > > So the choice is between an unsupported configuration or installing a
9 > > handful of binaries that you will never use. Unless space was an
10 > > issue, there's about 6MB difference, I'd go with the latter, although
11 > > UNSUPPORTED != DOESNOTWORK
12 >
13 > My guess is that 'unsupported' in this case means upstream won't bother
14 > to make sure the partial installation will continue to work. If it
15 > ever does break, I'd expect the Gentoo maintainers to force the flag
16 > off.
17
18 Agreed, it basically means it works for now but no guarantees in the
19 future, which should make it reasonably safe to enable the flag now.
20 Although I'd be wary of doing that if the OS is installed on an
21 encrypted filesystem.
25 Neil Bothwick
26
27 If at first you don't succeed you'll get lots of advice.