From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] accelerate emerge
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 23:58:09
1 On Tuesday 28 February 2006 16:27, "Walter Dnes" <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
2 wrote about 'Re: [gentoo-user] accelerate emerge':
3 > #!/bin/bash
4 > emerge --deep --update --world --fetchonly
5 > emerge --deep --update --world
6 >
7 > ...but I'd like to get an emerge going on the 1st package as soon as
8 > it's finished downloading, whilst having the downloads of all the other
9 > packages continue in a separate thread.
10
11 Try adding '&' to your first line to start it as a background process. I
12 did this for months. MAKE SURE emerge --info SHOWS THAT YOU ARE USING THE
13 DISTLOCKS FEATURE.
14
15 It's a separate process instead of a separate thread, but it should do what
16 you want. You may also want to throw a '> /dev/null 2>&-' before the '&',
17 but that depends on your sensibilities.
20 "If there's one thing we've established over the years,
21 it's that the vast majority of our users don't have the slightest
22 clue what's best for them in terms of package stability."
23 -- Gentoo Developer Ciaran McCreesh
24 --
25 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list