From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [SOLVED] Can I run a 32-bit CentOS chroot on a 64-bit Gentoo host?
Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2017 22:29:36
1 On Wed, Feb 08, 2017 at 08:45:03AM +0000, Neil Bothwick wrote
2
3 > If you used the -x switch with rsync, the contents of sys, dev and proc
4 > won't be copied n the first place, nor will the contents of any other
5 > mounted filesystems.
6 >
7 > That's if you rsynced from a running VM. If you used qemu-ndb to mount
8 > the VM image without starting the VM they would have been empty to start
9 > with.
10
11 I use "--no-devices --no-specials". From my reading of the rsync man
12 page, it should work. It seems to work fine during a regular rsync.
13 But last night when I did the first backup of my "new and improved"
14 setup, it was starting to back up /home/misc/centos65/proc/kcore. My
15 USB backup drive does not have space for a 140,737,477,881,856 byte file.
16 Ouch! I think the problem is that /home/misc/centos65/proc/ and
17 /home/misc/centos65/dev/ are real physical directories, with the
18 contents of the real /proc and /dev bind-mounted on top of them. They
19 end up getting treated as real directories because they are real
20 directories. I explicitly blocked them in rsync's list and things are
21 now OK.
24 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
25 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications