From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Hard drive screws
Date: Sat, 06 Jun 2020 19:14:12
1 On 6 June 2020 16:22:49 CEST, antlists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 >On 06/06/2020 09:23, Michael wrote:
3 >> Yes, getting the thread wrong and damaging the female thread in the
4 >enclosure,
5 >> while thinking this/almost/ fits, is not good for your nerves.
6 >There are
7 >> thread gauges which you can match the pitch of a screw/bolt and help
8 >determine
9 >> the thread specification, but they are typically used for larger
10 >screws/holes:
11 >
12 >I've never had any trouble BUT ... there are two different incompatible
13 >
14 >threads. Drive screws don't fit the case, and case screws don't fit the
15 >
16 >drive, despite them looking pretty similar ...
17 >
18 >Cheers,
19 >
20 >Wol
21
22 One of my old cases had plastic strips with little sticks on them that would fit into the screwholes. Those strips would then slot into the mounting points for the disks.
23
24 No messing around with screws and really easy to swap drives. They would be perfectly mounted as well.
25
26 Too bad I don't see the same with most other cases.
29 Joost
30 --
31 Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.