From: Meino.Cramer@×××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Creating an firmware image from a too large microSDcard...?
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 2016 07:20:56
1 J. Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org> [16-01-16 07:24]:
2 > On 16 January 2016 04:50:49 CET, Meino.Cramer@×××.de wrote:
3 > >Hi,
4 > >
5 > >to post a firmware image of my embedded linux computer
6 > >to a friend I want to size it down.
7 > >
8 > >System wise I did that already (only the really necessary
9 > >stuff of Gentoo plus some configuration and addons related
10 > >to the embedded system)...the problem comes with the size of
11 > >the microSDcard I use: 32 GB....
12 > >
13 > >The microSDcard (source) has two partitions (boot + the rest).
14 > >The boot partition is the first partition and it is of a fixed
15 > >and tiny size. The second partition contains the "rest": Gentoo.
16 > >Currently the used space of this partition is also small.
17 > >
18 > >The image needs to be of a format, which makes
19 > >it possble to 'dd' it onto a microSDcard (target) and afterwards use
20 > >g/parted to resize/expand the second partition to the end
21 > >of the microSDcard to get all storage space available.
22 > >
23 > >If I dd the source into an image I get all those zeroes also and
24 > >the image only will fit onto a microSDcard (target) of at least
25 > >the same size.
26 > >
27 > >If I dd each partition separately I get two files and the partition
28 > >table is not copied...may be technically possible but not user
29 > >friendly.
30 > >
31 > >How can I manage to get an image from my microSDcard (source), which
32 > >only consists of the used space in a way that it can be put onto
33 > >another microSDcard (target) in the waay described above?
34 > >
35 > >How can I acchieve that magic ? ;) :)
36 > >
37 > >Thank you very much in advance for any help!
38 > >Best regards,
39 > >Meino
40 >
41 > I would create a script that partitions and formats the sdcard.
42 > Then untar the contents of the partitions
43 > Then set up the bootloader.
44 >
45 > This should lead to a small size which is also user friendly.
46 >
47 > --
48 > Joost
49 > --
50 > Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.
53 Hi Joost,
54
55 thanks for your help.
56
57 Due to technical circumstances I am urged to use the "dd-way" to
58 create the contents.
59
60 How can I accomplish, what I have described?
61
62 Thank you very much in advance for any help ! :)
63
64 Best regards,
65 Meino