From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] All Gentoo signing key expired and no way to fix it
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2018 11:48:20
1 On Tue, Jul 3, 2018 at 7:06 AM gevisz <gevisz@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > Why not to put new openpgp-keys-gentoo-release
4 > into the portage tree BEFORE all existing Gentoo
5 > singing keys expire?
8 My guess is that it was an oversight.
9
10 I note that emerge --sync seems to update keys from the keyserver
11 automatically, and thus it didn't report any errors syncing for me.
12 On the other hand, I believe it will leave /usr/portage compromised if
13 an error is detected, so if you don't actually catch the error it
14 throws you can still be harmed. I assume webrsync won't do that, but
15 I haven't checked (the repository I use isn't available to webrsync as
16 far as I'm aware).
17
18 Improving signature checking is an area of recent interest, as you can
19 imagine, so I suspect these will improve.
22 Rich