From: Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] thin-provisioning-tools - but I don't provision anything!!!!!
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2017 22:30:22
1 On 09/15/2017 02:43 PM, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
2 > On Fri, Sep 15, 2017 at 23:38:21 +0200, Marc Joliet wrote:
3 >> Am Freitag, 15. September 2017, 23:15:05 CEST schrieb Alan Mackenzie:
4 >>> Yes, but do I want it to go away? What is it, what does it do?
5 >
6 >>> OK, let's try emerge -s thin-provisioning-tools. We get back only
7 >>> patronising garbage, namely "A suite of tools for thin provisioning on
8 >>> Linux" - well, duh! Who write's this stuff?
9 >
10 >>> So, WTF is thin provisioning?
11 >
12 >> I'm tempted to ask whether google is down or something, but I'm tired and
13 >> waiting for 7z to finish so here you go anyway:
14 >
15 > For me, google is permanently down.
16 >
17 >> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thin_provisioning
18 >
19 > Yes, I've read it, thanks. My question above was somewhat rhetorical.
20 >
21 >> I would say you probably don't need to care about it.
22 >
23 > I do. I need to spend time and effort removing it. It sounds like
24 > something only useful in servers, yet I have a desktop profile installed.
25 >
26 > There's something not quite right, here.
27 >
28 >> HTH
29 >> --
30 >> Marc Joliet
31 >> --
32 >> "People who think they know everything really annoy those of us who know we
33 >> don't" - Bjarne Stroustrup
34 >
35 The USE flag is likely enabled by default so users won't have to rebuild
36 all of lvm2 in order to get one small feature that may be useful in
37 self-hosting or experimental/learning scenarios. That is, the feature
38 seems useful enough to add as a default. But the default is in
39 sys-fs/lvm2, not in a profile:
40
41 '''
42 # Assume gentoolkit is present
43 $ grep "+thin" $(equery w sys-fs/lvm2)
44 IUSE="readline static static-libs systemd clvm cman corosync lvm1
45 lvm2create_initrd openais sanlock selinux +udev +thin device-mapper-only"
46 '''
47
48 If you have app-portage/gentoolkit (I highly recommend it) you can run
49 `equery d sys-block/thin-provisioning-tools` to find what's pulling it
50 in. It's probably lvm2, which is expected if you use LVM for anything.
51 If you don't have any need for it:
52
53 * Add `USE="-lvm"` to make.conf to ensure you don't get LVM through IUSE
54 * Add `sys-fs/lvm2` to package.mask, but realize you may lose partial
55 functionality with some things, like net-fs/nfs-utils NFS v4.1 support.
56 * emerge --changed-use --ask @world
57 * emerge --ask --depclean
58
59 or
60
61 * Put `sys-fs/lvm2 -thin` in package.use, run `emerge --changed-use
62 --ask @world`, and go about your day.
63
64 If you want to learn what thin provisioning is, you'll have to do
65 research on it. Manpages, project pages, fora, tutorials, etc. A good
66 way to find detailed information is to look up support threads and see
67 what difficulties other people are having, so you can go straight to
68 useful advice. (search terms like "problem lvm thin provision") If the
69 software's remotely popular, you'll get some good results. Since we've
70 already established lvm2 uses it, you can consult its documentation
71 (usually found from HOMEPAGE) and get an idea for what it is. Some
72 terminology is understood differently in specialized scenarios, so the
73 only way to learn it is to read it.
74
75 A Web search for 'lvm thin provisioning' turned up results from Red Hat,
76 tech blogs, and other sources. This information is easily available, if
77 you're willing to seek it.
78 --
79 Daniel Campbell - Gentoo Developer, Trustee, Treasurer
80 OpenPGP Key: 0x1EA055D6 @ hkp://keys.gnupg.net
81 fpr: AE03 9064 AE00 053C 270C 1DE4 6F7A 9091 1EA0 55D6