From: Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Getting maximum space out of a hard drive
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2022 14:26:40
1 Am Mon, Aug 29, 2022 at 04:28:55PM -0500 schrieb Dale:
2
3 > >> It sort of reminds me of a cell phone.  Small but fast CPUs, some even
4 > >> have decent amounts of ram so they can handle quite a lot.  Never heard of
5 > >> this thing before.  I wouldn't mind having one of those to work as my
6 > >> OpenVPN server thingy.  I'd just need to find one that has 2 ethernet
7 > >> ports and designed for that sort of task.
8 > > Many of the ZBoxes have dual NICs, which is what makes them very popular
9 > > among server and firewall hackers because they are also very frugal. My
10 > > particular model is the CI331:
11 > > https://www.zotac.com/us/product/mini_pcs/zbox-ci331-nano-barebone
12 > > It has one 2,5″ slot and one undocumented SATA M.2 which can only be reached
13 > > by breaking the warranty seal. That’s where zotac installs a drive if you
14 > > buy a zbox with Winblows pre-installed.
15 > >
16 > > After updating the BIOS, which allowed the CPU to enter lower C states, it
17 > > draws 6 W on idle. It’s not a record, but still not so much for a 24/7 x86
18 > > system.
19 >
20 > I was looking for one with two ethernet ports but wasn't having any luck
21 > yet.  I did find and download like a catalog thing but it will take a
22 > while to dig through it.  They have a lot of models for different
23 > purposes.
24
25 Here’s a list of barebone systems with dual-nics:
26 https://skinflint.co.uk/?cat=barepc&xf=19071_2
27 You can narrow down your criteria in much detail, such as passively cooled¹,
28 CPU vendor and features (hello, AES) or even if it’s officially suited for
29 conutinuous operation by the manufacturer. Obviously, mini barebones are not
30 suited for big NAS duty due to their form factor.
31
32 I mentioned this site before. But even though it’s EU centric, many products
33 are available worldwide (or in regional variants). Others on the list chimed
34 in and named more sites, but I can’t remember them.
35
36 > I did see a pre-made thing on ebay but can't recall the brand that cost
37 > hundreds that was made just for VPNs and such.
38
39 VPN appliances are pricey due to their industrial design. But for a normal
40 dude like we are, a consumer-grade device might be better suited. Especially
41 if it can be used for other purposes such as media source for the TV.
42
43 > It was really pricey tho.  But, you plug it in, boot it up and it had
44 > evrything installed and then some to control networks traffic.  It had
45 > stuff I never heard of.
46
47 Industrial stuff, as I said. And you pay for the bespoke software, without
48 which the appliance probably won’t work.
49
50 > >>>> I have a old computer that I might could use.  It is 4 core something
51 > >>>> and I think it has 4GBs of memory, maxed out.  I think it will perform
52 > >>>> well enough but wish it had a little more horses in it.
53 > >> I'm not real sure what that old machine has.  I have Linux, can't recall
54 > >> the distro tho, on it.  Is there a way to find out if it supports the
55 > >> needed things?
56 > > cat /proc/cpuinfo and look for aes or the like.
57
58 > I have booted that old thing up and I grepped cpuinfo and no AES that I
59 > could see or grep could find.  Must be before it's time.
60 >
61 > While I had it booted up, I checked into what all it did have.  It only
62 > has 4 SATA ports, one already used for the OS hard drive.  I could
63 > likely run it from a USB stick which would make all 4 available.  It has
64 > 8GBs of memory too.  CPU is a AMD Phenom 9750 Quad running at 2.4GHz.  I
65 > found it add that cpuinfo showed a different speed I think.
66
67 cpuinfo shows the current frequency, not the maximum.
68
69 > It's not a speedster or anything but I may can do something with it.
70
71 According to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_AMD_Phenom_processors the
72 9750 Quad is a 95 W or 125 W processor. Going by
73 https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+Phenom+9750+Quad-Core&id=306
74 its single-thread power is ca. ⅔ that of the Celeron N5100 on my ZBox (at 6 W):
75 https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Celeron+N5100+%40+1.10GHz&id=4331
76
77 > >> I'm pretty sure they support RAID and such by default.  It is likely set
78 > >> up to make setting it up easier too.
79 > > They do, naturally. And yes, the frontends hide lots of the gory details.
80 >
81 > That's my thinking since RAID, ZFS and such are new to me.  Of course,
82 > front ends do take away a lot of fine controls too, usually.
83
84 Setting up ZFS is—from a technical POV—not that much different from LVM,
85 which you are familiar with. You have block devices over which you create a
86 virtual device (vdev). A vdev can be a single disk, or a mirror of disks, or
87 a parity RAID. A storage pool is then created over one or more vdevs. And in
88 that pool you can create several ZFS (or just the one that is created with
89 the pool itself).
90
91 ┌POOL───────────────────────────┐
92 │┌VDEV 1────┐┌─VDEV 2────────┐ ┌┴ZFS────┐
93 ││ mirror ││ parity RAID │ │ /pool │
94 ││┌───┐┌───┐││┌───┐┌───┐┌───┐│ ├─ZFS────┴─────┐
95 │││sda││sdb││││sdc││sdd││sde││ │ /pool/video │
96 ││└───┘└───┘││└───┘└───┘└───┘│ └┬─────────────┘
97 │└──────────┘└───────────────┘ │
98 └───────────────────────────────┘
99
100 In comparison:
101 LVM: block device/partition → physical volume → volume group → logical volume → any file system
102 ZFS: block device/partition → vdev → pool → ZFS filesystem
103
104 The beauty is that ZFS can take care of everything. You just give it whole
105 block devices and at the other end you get a mountable file system. What you
106 also get is protection from bitrot thanks to in-FS checksumming. You don’t
107 get that with rsync on ext4. That’s why eventually I decided for ZFS for my
108 NAS over other, perhaps more practical solutions like LVM on mdraid. When it
109 checks the pool’s integrity, it is faster than mdraid, because it knows
110 where actual data is stored, so it can skip empty parts.
111
112 The biggest disadvantage over LVM is that it’s rather limited regarding
113 adding or removing disks. You cannot simply add a disk to a parity VDEV,
114 only to a mirror (which only increases redundancy, not capacity). And once a
115 new vdev is added to a pool, you cannot remove it, only replace its disks.
116 People added a single disk to a pool by accident and had to rebuild the
117 entire thing as a result. (Though I think that particular problem has been
118 dealt with recently.)
119
120 There exist of course some technical pitfalls. The ashift parameter
121 determines how big the smallest block of data is and should not be smaller
122 than the HDD’s block size. Hence, ashift=12 (2^12=4096) is the minimum one
123 should use these days. But I think it’s become the default anyways. Another
124 is the record size, which is the logical data block size for striping, IIRC.
125 For bigger files like video, it’s more efficient to use a bigger block size
126 (say, 1 MiB) than a smaller like 64 k, because it improves the ratio of
127 metadata over payload.
130 ¹ Regarding passive cooling: I like it, because fans break and make noise.
131 But running Gentoo on a tiny box with a small heatsink may put too much
132 stress on the electronics. When I tested out the performance of the ZBox, I
133 played Warzone 2100—a 3D realtime strategy game—on it on my 2560×1440 screen
134 (fluently, I might add). But afterwards the whole case was HOT.
137 Grüße | Greetings | Salut | Qapla’
138 Please do not share anything from, with or about me on any social network.
139
140 Save water! Dilute it!