From: Michael Sullivan <michael@××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: OT - Where are the modules (WAS: Re: [gentoo-user] OT - Win4Lin)
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2006 18:13:53
1 I went to www.netraverse.com and found out that the newest patch for
2 Win4Lin for SMP kernels is 2.6.11. I have to tell you that no kernel
3 I've ever built myself (as in without genkernel) has booted. I
4 downloaded 2.6.11 kernel source from www.kernel.org , and it seems to
5 have built correctly. I followed the following steps:
6
7 cd /usr/src
8 tar xvfj /home/michael/linux-2.6.11.12.tar.bz2
9 rm linux; ln -s linux-2.6.11.12 linux
10 cd linux
11 make mrproper
12 make menuconfig
13 make bzImage
14 make modules
15
16 I didn't apply the patch because I wanted to see if I could get the
17 vanilla kernel to work before altering it. Everything seemed to build
18 correctly. As I've had many many problems with trying to boot kernels
19 without an initrd (on top of the fact that no manually-built kernel has
20 worked), I emerged mkinitrd. WWhen I tried to use it, it gave me an
21 error saying that /lib/modules/linux-2.6.11.12 is not a directory. An
22 ls showed me that it didn't exist in any form. My question is where are
23 the modules that were built? Can I just move the modules over (once I
24 find them), or do I need to create some type of subdirectory structure?
27 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list