From: Alexander Skwar <listen@×××××××××××××××.name>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Recovering data from a formatted hard disk
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2006 06:28:18
1 Uwe Thiem wrote:
2 > On 31 January 2006 15:19, Schleimer, Ben wrote:
3 >> I understand that writing zeros over the file should permenately delete the
4 >> data
5 >
6 > Don't believe people telling that.
7
8 Why not? I would believe those people.
9
10 > The data will still be recoverable
11
12 Will it? Why is it, that there are no proofs at all
13 that this is actually possible? Or do you have any
14 prove?
15
16 > The
17 > only way to wipe out data safely is to write different random bit over it
18 > several times.
19
20 "0" is good enough with modern hardware. That's so, because current
21 harddrives have a much higher "rate" of staying in the track and thus
22 do not write to the "left" or "right" of it.
25 >> but couldn't the data be cached elsewhere on the drive, especially
26 >> with journalling filesystems??
27 >
28 > Journalling filesystems are a problem when it comes to wipe out single files.
29
30 Yes.
31
32 > Wiping out the whole harddrive is still possible.
33
34 But not with normal hardware.
35
36 Alexander Skwar
37 --
38 Here we are in America ... when do we collect unemployment?
39 --
40 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list