From: Jack <ostroffjh@×××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Video database software
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2019 00:15:35
1 On 2019.01.28 19:01, Dale wrote:
2 [snip.....]
3 > I'll look into f-spot tho.  It may work well for my camera stuff
4 > too.  Who knows.  What package does that come with?  I can't find a
5 > f-spot here.  Eix didn't help either.
6 F-spot isn't currently packaged anywhere. It fell into a period of
7 lack of maintenance, and had too many build bugs, so most/all distros
8 dropped it. I didn't want to change, so I started figuring out how to
9 build it myself. My current version continues to work, but I have not
10 been able to build a new version in over a year. I can sometimes build
11 it under other distros with more up-to-date dotnet stuff. If I ever
12 find something like a flat-pack version, I'll let you know. If you
13 really want to try, the source is at https://github.com/f-spot/f-spot
14
15 Don't underestimate your scripting abilities. It might take learning a
16 bit, but you've done that before :-) Start with modifying your grep
17 line so the path to file and grep result are on a single line, you can
18 append them to a big file (one line per video with full path to video,
19 the size, and some other (hopefully consistent text). You can import
20 that into a libreoffice spreadsheet. Even if it's only one column to
21 start, you can search/replace to change the static text to a comma or
22 something to separate items, then to "text to columns." Then you can
23 sort. I think LO can handle ~20K rows, but you could always
24 move/convert it to LO Base (it's simple database - sort of like
25 MS-Access). Still just use the spreadsheet interface, but underneath,
26 it's better able to handle the volume and sorting.
27 >
28 > Thanks for the idea.
29 >
30 > Dale