From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: ridiculously wide handbook pages
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 18:36:37
1 On 2010-09-30, Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 2010-09-30, Darren Kirby <bulliver@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 11:13 AM, Grant Edwards
4 >><grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >>
6 >>>
7 >>> I can understand that things like example code blocks or sample
8 >>> command input/output blocks might need to be wide enough to require
9 >>> horizontal scrolling of a browser window, but normal text paragraphs
10 >>> with 160 characters per line?
11 >>
12 >> I'm not seeing a problem here. Sure, the lines are long but my screen
13 >> is large and my resolution is high. A quick play with firefox and konq
14 >> shows that the text reformats itself quite elegantly when you resize
15 >> your browser window to say, 2/3 of screen width.
16 >
17 > I'm using firefox, and the text doesn't reformat for me. I just end
18 > up with a change in the size of the horizontal scrollbar. Are you
19 > sure you're looking at the same pages I was talking about?
20 >
21 > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?full=1
22 > http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/base/embedded/handbook/?part=1&chap=2
23
24 OK, I think the problem is caused by "literal" blocks (the ones
25 containing command-line examples with the light-blue background where
26 nothing ever wraps). The _minimum_ line-wrap length for normal text
27 paragraphs is determined by the _maximum_ line length in a literal
28 block. Resizing the browser window horizontally only reformats text
29 _if_ the window is wider than the longest literal block line. For
30 many of the pages that requires more screen width than I, for one,
31 have.
32
33 IOW, for any pages with long command line examples (or program output
34 examples), you end up with very unweildy text paragraphs.
35
36 I'm not sure what formatting system the manual pages use (to me the
37 pages look way too clean, consistent, and neat to be hand-coded).
38 Using asciidoc, for example, you avoid this problem by specifying a
39 maxmimum width for normal text blocks so that they won't end up being
40 arbitrarily long depending on what command line examples you happen to
41 have in the document. I find 40em to be a nice max width:
42
43 asciidoc -a data-uri -a toc -a max-width=40em <input-file>
44
45 >> I think that's a better solution than imposing some arbitrary line
46 >> length on everyone no matter their screen size and resolution.
47
48 No, I wouldn't want to impose an arbitrary line lenth on everybody,
49 but that's exactly what we have now. The arbitrary line length that's
50 imposed is (length >= max(lengths-of-lines-in-literal-blocks)).
51
52 For pages without any wide literal blocks, it's not an issue, and the
53 normal paragaphs reflow as they should. For most of the manual pages
54 that I look at, it is an issue.
55
56 I'd prefer to have the line lengths determined by the browser window,
57 and that's not what we have now for much of the manual.
60 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! Edwin Meese made me
61 at wear CORDOVANS!!
62 gmail.com