From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] A helping hand with virtual machines, please.
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2011 21:44:35
1 On Tue, 22 Nov 2011 21:14:15 +0100
2 Felix Kuperjans <felix@××××××××××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > > Would somebody please give me some hints which packages I should be
5 > > looking at, and perhaps any use flags I might need.
6 > VirtualBox is quite easy for beginners, but requires external kernel
7 > modules and requires a GUI (what you most probably want anyway).
8
9 That's not true.
10
11 VBoxHeadless implements practically everything you can do in the gui,
12 and the built-in RDP server lets you connect from other machines so the
13 host doesn't need to run a gui either.
14
15 A GUI is strongly recommended, some thing are just easier with
16 pointy-clicky, but it's far from required.
17
18 External kernel modules are no big deal either. You need the same with
19 VMWare. It's just a package you emerge and modules-rebuild is there to
20 help you remember what must be rebuilt with every kernel build. These
21 days you have to do the same with xorg-modules whenever you upgrade
22 Xorg, so even that is not an issue anymore.
25 Alan McKinnnon
26 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com