From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Questions about SATA and hot plugging.
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2010 18:06:34
1 Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 7:29 AM, Volker Armin Hemmann
3 > <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com> wrote:
4 > <SNIP>
5 >
6 >> again, the hardware to hotplug is built into every sata connector. What is
7 >> left is the controller not getting confused and the driver.
10 > Every SATA connector? External connectors yes. Internal connectors no.
13 >> AHCI as a standard says yes to hoplugging. So as long as you use a AHCI
14 >> compliant sata controller you can hotplug.
15 >>
16 > Interested readers should be _VERY_ careful about listening to
17 > previous advice. The major difference between the internal and
18 > external SATA cables& connectors, a ***particularly*** important part
19 > of hotplugging, is that the external connector ensures that ground is
20 > connected before the signals. This ensures that in the case of static
21 > electricity the drive becomes grounded to the computer which is done
22 > to eliminate ESD (electro static discharge) events which will damage
23 > either the drive or the controller. (Depending n which is charged.)
24 >
25 > If you are using an internal power supply and have drive power already
26 > attached when you hotplug an internal cable then likely you will be
27 > just fine.
28 >
29 > If, on the other hand, you have a SATA drive sitting on a bench using
30 > a separate power supply then hotplugging with an internal cable is not
31 > recommended.
32 >
33 > Hope this helps,
34 > Mark
38 I'm not saying that this is good advice but this is what my mobo manual
39 says. If I have the BIOS set to AHCI, then all the ports are hot
40 pluggable. That includes the internal ones. My mobo design is about a
41 year old so this may not apply to older ones but that is what the manual
42 says. Just because I am to chicken to try doesn't mean it doesn't work
43 tho. I'm to chicken to use the one marked external too.
44
45 I moved my data drive over from the old rig last night. I got out the
46 flashlight and magnifying glass and gave all the connectors a good
47 looking over. They all have that L shape connector which is usually
48 what external connectors have. That is according to what I have read
49 anyway. All the connectors are the same on my mobo, both internal and
50 external.
51
52 It appears to me that with my mobo, there is no "internal" connectors.
53 They are just all SATA and hot pluggable.
54
55 Dale
56