From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Portable Gentoo (Pen Drive Linux)
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2014 19:30:07
1 On Saturday 29 Mar 2014 16:41:10 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Sat, 29 Mar 2014 10:07:22 +0000, Peter Humphrey wrote:
3 > > > I don't think it's down to the shell, sysresccd includes bash too
4 > > > AFAIR.
5 > >
6 > > Yes, bash is present, but root (superuser) has /bin/zsh as its shell in
7 > > /etc/passwd, so bash scripts aren't run on login.
8 >
9 > Ah yes, I see what you mean.
10 >
11 > > > Aha, just found the proper documentation for it
12 > > > http://www.sysresccd.org/Sysresccd-manual-en_Run_your_own_scripts_with_a
13 > > > utorun>
14 > > That looks interesting - thanks. First though I think I'll pursue
15 > > getting my aliases, and unaliases, into zsh startup. Or is it simple to
16 > > change root's login shell? It seems unlikely that simply
17 > > editing /etc/passwd would do it.
18 >
19 > It is that simple. One of the first things I do on a new install is
20 > sed -i s/bash/zsh/ /etc/passwd
21
22 I'll bear it in mind (until I forget - about 10 minutes, I expect).
23
24 > Dropping the aliases into ~/.zshrc is the easy option, that way to get
25 > your aliases and a superior shell.
26
27 That's what I've done so far. I haven't noticed any difficulty running zsh
28 without knowing it, so maybe I'll just leave it at that.
29
30 Ta muchly.
33 Regards
34 Peter