From: Miroslav Rovis <miro.rovis@××××××××××××××.hr>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] from Firefox52: NO pure ALSA?, WAS: Firefox 49.0 & Youtube... Audio: No
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2016 16:51:27
1 On 161216-08:35-0500, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Fri, Dec 16, 2016 at 8:13 AM, Miroslav Rovis
3 > <miro.rovis@××××××××××××××.hr> wrote:
4 > > On 161216-07:16-0500, Rich Freeman wrote:
5 > >> On Fri, Dec 16, 2016 at 5:19 AM, Miroslav Rovis
6 > >> <miro.rovis@××××××××××××××.hr> wrote:
7 > >> >
8 > >> > In my stron opinion, and opinions are allowed in Gentoo, just not
9 > >> > imposing your opinion onto others (and that I am not doing, feel free
10 > >> > to disagree!), pulseadio is spyware, read more here:
11 > >> >
12 > >> > Re: [Alsa-user] sans-pulseaudio Firefox? was: a strange thing
13 > >> > https://www.mail-archive.com/alsa-user@×××××××××××××××××.net/msg31928.html
14 > >> >
15 > >>
16 > >> What exactly about Pulseaudio do you think makes it "spyware?" The
17 > > You're right actually. Or might be. It is likely not spyware in itself,
18 > > but it surely is spyware enabler. Like dbus and all of poetterware.
19 > >
20 > > And about xorg. Everybody uses it, I do too. Minimalistically. Just
21 > > enough to have, say Firefox and Wireshark, and a good *nix programs that
22 > > need gui. But I'd think the possibilities for spying-required remote
23 > > connections with xorg are nowhere near to what poetterware and
24 > > associates offer.
27 > I'm not sure I understand what distinction you're making. I can't say
28 > I'm intimately familiar with the security model around Pulseaudio (at
29 > a glance it seems similar to X11 with its use of cookies, though
30 > obviously if you tell it to broadcast unencrypted multicast RTP on
31 > your LAN you'll get the obvious effects) but X11 has a couple of
32 > glaring security weaknesses. The most obvious is the fact that any
33 > random X11 client can read the keyboard input of any other client on
34 > the same server unless you jump through a bunch of hoops that I don't
35 > think anybody actually jumps through (though I do believe some of the
36 > X11 PIN entry programs may use them at least). Anything you type into
37 > an xterm could be read by your browser, and in turn by any code able
38 > to execute outside any sandbox that browser might have (root privs not
39 > needed for this).
40
41 I don't claim it can not, but I doubt anyone can do it in my
42 grsecurity-hardened based Gentoo machine.
43
44 [ but first (I just now looked it up), I'm not match for you, you are a
45 Gentoo developer:
46 https://www.gentoo.org/inside-gentoo/developers/
47 where the link under "Rich0" opens:
48 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/User:Rich0
49 and you would get a better reply from someone of your statue, which I'm
50 not ; and since we're at conditionalities, I'm sorry if I reply slowly,
51 I'm unable to work faster. ]
52
53 > And I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of X servers still run as root
54 > for modesetting/etc.
55
56 What user is that? It you want, tell me how to check it, and let's see
57 how spyware-prone my system is.
58
59 > > That's why they came into existance, after all.
60 >
61 > Uh, somehow I doubt that Lennart wrote Pulseaudio just to simplify the
62 > task of getting audio off of a local host so that somebody can spy on
63 > you. Maybe it had something to do with the fact that before it came
64 > along just doing something like plugging a USB headset into a Linux
65 > desktop was a bit of a chore?
66
67 It's been discussed over and over again. Lots of people are firm in
68 their understanding that Lennart is an actor by and for the big
69 business. Me too.
70
71 And, it's not about singular trees but the big picture, and I dare reply
72 even to you with the following argument.
73
74 Because this argument is understood even without being a programmer,
75 being this argument the sign of the time, so it's in the very big
76 picture.
77
78 And it's, to some extent, just repeating what I already wrote,
79 regardless of the singular trees looking deliciously innocent (running
80 your multiple desktop sessions looks so innocent and un-evil, almost like
81 Schmoog the Schmoogle!)...
82
83 The argument:
84
85 In this day and age, when the state- and other big actors virtually know
86 ever-nearer to virtually everything about everybody, there is not deaf
87 spot anywhere in public, and not even in your own home you are not
88 audio-alone, but rather you are automatically recorded anywhere you go,
89 and that wholesale spying is undeniable, thanks to Edward Snowden...
90
91 In that big picture, whatever would anybody say that this complex new
92 Pulseaudio code, that communicates to anywhere, local or remote,
93 whatever would anybody try to claim that that perfect --but also the
94 spying firm the Schmoog is perfect as well, and really really not "not
95 evil", they sold so many people!-- whatever would anybody try to claim
96 that that perfect code is for...
97
98 Whatever would anybody try to claim
99 that that perfect code is for, but, let alone the nice trees like the
100 ones you mention, let them alone... Because it's like saying: oh how
101 good my dear Schmoog the Schmoogle is, look, I can post any video I
102 want, and I don't pay for it!... And that's like saying: how good my new
103 Galaxy Android is... mobile phones, the eavesdropper devices good?! (Oh,
104 for the feeble of mind, not for you, the user, no! But for the state-
105 and other big actors eavesdropper device that you paid for so that they
106 can record you...)
107
108 Whatever would anybody try to claim Pulseaudio code is, but to make up
109 for what was missing in some FOSS GNU Linux boxen for the missing
110 functionality that the big players couldn't otherwise get for their
111 Total Surveillance...
112
113 And they couldn't get it because there are some, developers/users alike,
114 and...
115
116 =====================================================================
117 I thank here all the developers thanks to whom I don't have to use
118 neither Systemd nor Pulseaudio, nor Dbus, nor Policykit nor any
119 poetterware...
120 =====================================================================
121
122 I thank them most sincerely!
123
124 [And they couldn't get it because there are some, developers/users alike],
125 who stubbornly do not want to live with massive intrusion into their
126 boxen, which their, the big players' one-ring-to-rule-them all agenda,
127 comprising total surveillance, is...
128
129 But maybe I wrote in more to the point in the other link further about,
130 which you left standing... Don't know.
133 > Well, if you prefer not to use Pulse, that's of course up to you. I
134 > wasn't running it for ages, and I probably still wouldn't be running
135 > it if I didn't have issues with running multiple desktop sessions as
136 > separate users (one of those things that stuff like pulse+policykit
137 > and so on was designed to help fix).
138 >
139 > --
140 > Rich
143 Respectfully!