From: Florian Philipp <lists@×××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] BIOS or what
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2011 13:49:52
1 Am 01.03.2011 11:23, schrieb alain.didierjean@××××.fr:
4 > I'm starting to think about my next development desktop. One question haunts me:
5 > is the BIOS still a fatality? Is there a known and tested alternative available
6 > UEFI? Open Firmware? coreboot? other? Experience welcome
9 UEFI allows you to boot from disks larger than 2.2 TB because it
10 supports the GPT partition scheme.
11
12 If you consider using a smaller SDD as your system drive and larger HDDs
13 only for bulk data, this might not be an issue for you, even in the long
14 run.
15
16 The 64 bit versions of Windows Vista and newer are the only ones capable
17 of booting from GPT in case you want to dual-boot.
18
19 Disclaimer: No personal experience.
20
21 Hope this helps,