From: meino.cramer@×××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] How fast was ... ?
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2011 02:48:51
1 Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> [11-10-26 20:40]:
2 > On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 1:56 PM, <meino.cramer@×××.de> wrote:
3 > > Hi,
4 > >
5 > > On www.archive.org I found videos of the series "Computer Chronicle"
6 > > with Richard Cheifet and Gary Kildall (the inventor of CP/M and the
7 > > founder of Intergalactical Digital Research, later known as Digital
8 > > Research or short DR).
9 > >
10 > > Totally amazed by the things which were "brandnew" those days
11 > > (1985/1995) and are outclassed by any digital whristwatch nowadays I
12 > > became curious about a more exact definition of "faster" in this
13 > > area...
14 > >
15 > > Or in other words:
16 > >
17 > > Is it really true, that a mobile smartphone of today is as fast as
18 > > a big iron of 1975?
19 >
20 > My understanding is that big iron's outstanding features were:
21 > * Uptime
22 > * Gobs and gobs and gobs of I/O. (Though I don't know the numbers)
23 >
24 > If you want to compare feature sets, be sure to include those. :)
25 >
26 > --
27 > :wq
30 Thank you *VERY* much for those nice links!!! :) Great stuff!
31
32 I know, that benchmarking is anything but science...but on the other
33 hand: Knowing that a PDP-8 (which was newer than the PDP-7 on which
34 Dennis Ritchie and Ken Thompson started to develop UNIX) had about
35 0.004 MWIPS and a current desktop PC has something like 3500 MWIPS
36 let shine a total different, more brighter light to terms like
37 "computer pioneers"... :)
38
39 Those days a 'bit' was more a real thing than nowadays :)))
40
41 Best regards,
42 mcc