From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: alan.mckinnon@×××××.com
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Devicekit - especially just for Dale
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 11:11:42
1 On Mon, 18 Jan 2010 08:59:07 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2
3 > Most devices fall into one of two groups: storage and I/O.
4 > Auto-mounters do not care about your keyboard, whereas X needs to know
5 > about your monitor, card, keyboard, mouse. Why does hal try and
6 > abstract both? Seems silly to me.
7
8 On the other hand, having a single method of configuring such things does
9 give consistency, and means you have to learn only one syntax, but see
10 below. You cannot totally separate the two areas, for example a keylogger
11 may need access to both I/O and storage, so a central, separate resource
12 used by all software is more in keeping with the Unix way than each
13 program including its own implementation.
14
15 > One could also argue that the developer's state of mind is reflected in
16 > the chosen method of configuration - xml files. This just defies all
17 > understanding. Apart from the fact that real-world xml is almost
18 > unreadable, the conditions that make xml useful are simply not present
19 > in hal...
20
21 I couldn't agree more. XML was very fashionable a few years ago, maybe
22 this influenced the developer. Hell, I was even guilty of using it
23 myself :( As an alternative to binary configuration files, XML is a step
24 in the right direction, but it should not be used where users are
25 expected to edit the files. In some ways, the worth or otherwise of HAL,
26 from a user perspective, has been largely obscured by the difficulty in
27 reading, let alone editing, its configuration files.
31 Neil Bothwick
32
33 I am MODERATOR of BORG. Follow the rules or be assimilated.