From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: back up gentoo system
Date: Wed, 07 May 2008 09:21:15
1 On Wed, 7 May 2008 09:57:02 +0200, Dirk Heinrichs wrote:
2
3 > > rsync is good, but has its own disadvantages, notably the lack of
4 > > compression and the reliance on the destination filesystem to preserve
5 > > permissions.
6 >
7 > Can you elaborate more on the latter, please? What exactly is rsync
8 > relying on and which fs wouldn't meet the requirements.
9
10 FAT on an external drive, or some of the online backup systems.
11
12 > Reg. compression, I believe there's a stackable compressing (fuse) fs
13 > one could use.
14
15 What is that? I was looking for such a beast a while ago, but could only
16 find read-only filesystems with compression, like squashfs.
17
18 Don't get me wrong, I like rsync and use it a lot, but, like anything
19 else, it has its limitations.
23 Neil Bothwick
24
25 For Sale: Positronic Brain-Found near S.F.-Needs Work