From: dhk <dhkuhl@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ssh problem
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2011 11:10:27
1 On 02/26/2011 03:13 AM, Mick wrote:
2 > On Saturday 26 February 2011 07:49:44 Adam Carter wrote:
3 >>> The nc command does nothing when run from the same host I'm trying to
4 >>> ssh in to.
5 >>
6 >> Ok so you may not have an ssh problem (so ignore the ssh specific stuff for
7 >> now) you have a network problem. It will be either routing or firewalling.
8 >> If you can ping the box, then its a firewall problem. So, try pinging it
9 >> first, and if that works then you know that routing is in place and its a
10 >> firewall problem. If that doesn't work try traceroute to see how far you
11 >> can get, and the last hop may provide clues as to why you can access it by
12 >> sending an ICMP message. Post back what you find.
13 >
14 > Depending on configuration of routers and firewalls ICMP packets may be
15 > dropped, so if plain ping/traceroute fails use httping and tcptraceroute (or
16 > traceroute -T -p 22)
17
18 I don't know why I would have a firewall or network problem, the set up
19 I have has been here for 8+ years. The setup is like this. In the
20 basement the cable internet comes in and into a cable modem. Then an
21 RJ45 out of the cable modem into an 8-port NETGEAR Router/Switch.
22 Upstairs is a hub with three computers connected and this hub is
23 connected to the switch in the basement. The only problem I ever had
24 was when the dhcp address changed, then it needed to be added to the
25 PORT FORWARDING section of the switch with port 22.
26
27 Remember I can still log in remotely from Redhat and Suse boxes that
28 weren't updated with the new openssh.
29
30 When ssh'ing in from a remote updated Gentoo box the "Read from socket
31 failed: Connection reset by peer" message is displayed. This message is
32 not displayed when trying to ssh in from inside the network.
33
34 Alright, back to the task at hand. When I tell the switch to "Respond
35 to Ping on Internet WAN Port" the ping statistics are good: 3 packets
36 transmitted, 3 received, 0% packet loss, time 2007ms.
37
38 I'm not sure where to go from here.
39
40 Is there anything in the sshd_config or ssh_config files that I need?
41 After the upgrade the new files were merged with the current.
42
43 Thanks
44 dhk