From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} ISP requires MTU below 1500?
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2016 12:33:35
1 >> Rather than guess and take random values read on the net - measure it.
2 >>
3 >> Google calculate mtu - netgear and others show ways to test upstream to
4 >> get the ideal size using ping
5 >>
6 >> You are looking for the largest MTU value before fragmentation starts to
7 >> occur.
8 >
9 > See https://www.dslreports.com/faq/695 for detailed instructions on
10 > getting the maximum MTU for your setup.
13 I followed the instructions and got this at first:
14
15 # ping -s 1472 www.dslreports.com
16 PING www.dslreports.com (64.91.255.98) 1472(1500) bytes of data.
17 From dsldevice (192.168.1.254) icmp_seq=1 Frag needed and DF set (mtu = 1492)
18 1480 bytes from www.dslreports.com (64.91.255.98): icmp_seq=2 ttl=54
19 time=93.9 ms
20
21 After that it wouldn't tell me "Frag needed" no matter how high I set
22 the MTU for the ping command, but maybe the above indicates that my
23 max MTU is 1492?
24
25 - Grant