From: Sergio Polini <sp_rm_it@×××××.it>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] WinXP under VMWare: no sound
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2006 20:16:27
1 Richard Fish:
2 > Unfortunately, even though I can get all the right libraries to
3 > load, I cannot get sound to work reliably on amd64. Neither aoss
4 > nor vmdsp seem to work for me, either as a user or root.
5
6 That's very strange, because...
7
8 > However, I think I know how to make aoss work as a normal user on
9 > your system. You should just need to:
10 >
11 > # chmod 4755 /emul/linux/x86/usr/lib/libaoss.so.0.0.0
12 > # ln -s /emul/linux/x86/usr/lib/libaoss.so /usr/lib32/libaoss.so
13 >
14 > The first command is just to make sure the library is setuid.
15
16 YOU ARE GREAT!!!
17 I have too Gentoos, "stable" and "testing". I had only vmplayer
18 installed in "stable" (the virtual machine is in another partition).
19 So I have:
20 a) emerged alsa-oss
21 b) emerged emul-linux-x86-soundlibs
22 c) "chmod"ed and "ln -s"ed as you have advised
23 and sound is working now both as root and as normal user!
24 Thanks!
25
26 If you have some spare time, I'ld like to understand why the symbolic
27 link in /usr/lib32 is needed (and why your solution works on my
28 system and not on yours....).
29 But don't bother. I can imagine that you have something better to
30 do ;-)
31
32 Tanks again
33 Sergio