From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re[2]: [gentoo-user] Server system date synchronizaion
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2013 15:28:42
1 On 27/04/2013 00:11, Paul Hartman wrote:
2 > On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 3:54 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> On 26/04/2013 22:46, the guard wrote:
4 >>> Пятница, 26 апреля 2013, 22:41 +02:00 от Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>:
5 >>>> Do none of us here ever deal with Windows? :-)
6 >>>>
7 >>>> I notice that no-one has yet mentioned that Windows does not do ntp, as
8 >>>> Windows does not do time right, doesn't do timezones right and I
9 >>>> strongly suspect can't even do dates right (this latter still unproven)
10 >>>>
11 >>>> Windows time servers need some magic Microsoft thing called ENTP which
12 >>>> is in no way related to the ntp we all know and love
13 >>>>
14 >>> It refuses to adjust time if you have a wrong date. timezone is set in your system
15 >>>
18 >> I was thinking more along the lines of how Windows has no concept of UTC
19 >> set in the hw clock and a local timezone, and how timezones are odd
20 >> things like Harare/Pretoria instead of the official names like
21 >> SAST GMT+2 as set by the scientific timekeeping community.
22 >>
23 >> How about daylight savings? Can Windows deal with that? Other than by
24 >> just shoving the clock back and forward by an hour on the right days?
25 >
26 > I've used windows for the past 25,000+ work hours at my job (I wish
27 > that were an exaggeration) in an all-Microsoft corporate environment.
28 > I dare not declare myself an expert in anything Windows so as not to
29 > encourage more of it. :)
30
31 [snip much detail about Windows tying itself in knots to do something
32 quite simple]
33
34 > Now we return to our regularly-scheduled programming...
35
36 In comparison I have it easy :-)
37
38 The last time there was a leap-second all I had to do was check our time
39 servers tracked upstream wrt leap-*, and checked that my team's machines
40 did the same. ClusterSSH, bash, grep, sed and awk made this an exercise
41 in on-liner skills :-)
42
43 I then told the reat of the company using Unix to do the same, and the
44 whole thing was a non-event.
45
46 Now for the Windows fellows and the idiot running the Domain Controllers
47 in OurAmazingParentCompanyWhoThinkTheyAreCool(tm). Apparently they had a
48 torrid time of it, especially as they ignored all heads-up
49 communications from us. I don't know how they managed to fix all the
50 Windows workstations as we were quite happy to return that favour.
54 Alan McKinnon
55 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com