From: allan gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] trouble starting gnome-terminal (SOLVED)
Date: Sun, 02 Oct 2016 15:15:25
1 On Thu, Sep 29 2016, allan gottlieb wrote:
2
3 > I run systemd if that is relevant. All commands below were run
4 > as ordinary user "gottlieb" (I know the sudo runs the stated command as
5 > root)
6 >
7 > On one machine (named E6430) running gnome-terminal is problematic.
8 >
9 > If I log via the gnome graphical login screen I cannot start a gnome
10 > terminal either by
11 > Selecting it from the favorites menu
12 > Using my own keyboard shortcut (which has worked for years)
13 > Invoking M-x shell in emacs and typing gnome-terminal
14 >
15 > The first two produce nothing on the screen, third produces
16 > Error constructing proxy for org.gnome.Terminal:/org/gnome/Terminal/Factory0: Error calling StartServiceByName for org.gnome.Terminal: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Spawn.ChildExited: Process org.gnome.Terminal exited with status 9
17 >
18 > However the following both work
19 > 1. in the same emacs shell as above typing sudo gnome-terminal
20 > 2. from another machine where gnome-terminal works as normal
21 > ssh -Y e6430
22 > gnome-terminal
23 >
24 > Any suggestions would be appreciated
25 >
26 > thanks,
27 > allan
28
29 # localectl set-locale LANG="en_US.UTF-8"
30
31 Fixed the problem (without explaining what caused it).
32
33 allan