From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: CPU upgrade and LVM questions.
Date: Sat, 08 Dec 2018 05:45:24
1 David Haller wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > On Sat, 08 Dec 2018, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
5 >> On 08/12/2018 03:01, Dale wrote:
6 >>> I just noticed the video card that is coming requires a power cable.  I
7 >>> never had one that powerful before.  O_O
8 >> You've been out of the loop it seems. GPUs have required power cables for
9 >> over a decade now. The GPU I use actually needs *two* power cables and places
10 >> a minimum wattage requirement on the power supply... :-P
11 > *Meh*
12 >
13 > I miss my Matrox Mystique (first model w/170MHz RAMDAC!) with a
14 > whopping 4 MB SGRAM, and not even a heatsink, just the plain naked
15 > chip, much less a fan, and it ran in a PCI slot, at about ~4.5W (or
16 > was it 5W?) theoretical max usage...
17 >
18 > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matrox_Mystique
19 > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:MatroxMystique2MBcard.jpg
20 >
21 > I only replaced that ~10yearish ago because my new screen had a
22 > whopping 1280x1024 on 17", which those 4MB just won't do at decent
23 > bit-depth... *sigh* For 1152x864 on the CRT it was still good, but
24 > that screen just got too dark to see anything at all, so I had to
25 > replace it. Got a nice (expensiveish) PVA-TFT. Still very nice after
26 > ~10 years, even with CCFL it has darkend only minimally[1] :) And yes,
27 > I'm still fine with 1280x1024 on 17", TYVM :) I could even set up the
28 > spare monitor (same size/res) alongside, but I just don't need it.
29 >
30 > Now, I've got (again) a passive GPU for PCIe (max. 75W) w/o extra
31 > power. Main reason: the latest had a fan, which started to scream. As
32 > in almost not running. Cleaning did not help. So... No fan, no sound,
33 > and cleaning a heatsink is easy, as opposed to cleaning a fan +
34 > heatsink combo. And besides, a downward-facing heatsink does not
35 > tend to clog up as one that has a fan blowing onto it...
36 >
37 > -dnh, *darn* Time to clean-out the CPU-heatsink once again too :(
38 > CPU-temp and fan-speed are still ok though.
39 >
40 > [1] I started with IIRC ~30-40% "brightness" as preferred setting, and
41 > am now at ~40-50%... Which is good for a 10yr+ old CCFL, eh? :)
45 I have some old cards like that too.  One I had given to me and the heat
46 sink fell off of it before I got it.  I could see the glue that was left
47 behind and I stuck a new one on there and used it for a long time.
48 Later, I added a fan.  It got warm but not hot.  Still, I like to run
49 things as cool as possible.  The fan ran at a low speed so no noise.
50
51 I was digging around the other day and found a couple cards that used to
52 be used for adding a mouse.  That is a pretty old card.  Of course, I
53 don't have any working systems that I can plug any of that into.  I'm
54 actually throwing away old systems that no longer even beep on power up,
55 which is a lot.  I also found a mid 90's mobo. I think the max ram was
56 1MBs.  Heck, almost all hard drives have more cache than that nowadays.
57
58 How far we have come computer wise.  I've got more memory than I used to
59 have in hard drive space, even when having more than one drive in a rig.
60
61 Dale
62