From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] bloated by gcc
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2014 17:17:00
1 On Mon, Sep 29, 2014 at 10:50 AM, Marc Stürmer <mail@×××××××××××××.de> wrote:
2 > Am 28.09.2014 10:44, schrieb Jorge Almeida:
3 >
4 >> I'm having a somewhat disgusting issue on my Gentoo: binaries are
5 >> unaccountably large.
8 > Really? Who cares. Storage is so cheap nowadays, that that kind of "bloat"
9 > simply doesn't matter on normal deskop computers anymore.
10 >
11 > Embedded systems though are a different cup of coffee.
14 I think it would be useful to actually understand what is going on
15 here, assuming it isn't a mistake of some kind.
16
17 And storage isn't as cheap as some make it out to be. Sure, spinning
18 disks are pretty cheap, but embedded systems are always constrained,
19 SSDs aren't so cheap, and in-RAM space used by a binary is always a
20 concern. Even if you have plenty of system RAM, excessive RAM use by
21 a binary means poor processor cache utilization. L1/L2 cache is still
22 measured in kilobytes to this day, and L3 is measured in MB.
23
24 Besides, if we don't actually know why there is a difference there is
25 no way to know that the compiler isn't doing more than just waste
26 memory.
29 Rich