From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] About to have fiber internet and need VPN info
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2022 10:57:40
1 Howdy,
2
3 Fiber internet is right around the corner.  Some neighbors are already
4 connected and they working their way to my area.  Once I get connected,
5 I also want to use a VPN but only for some programs.  Example, I want
6 Ktorrent and a couple Firefox profiles to use VPNs but at least one
7 Firefox profile I want to remain outside of VPN.  I watched a few videos
8 but want to be sure I understand this right.  If I want software to use
9 a VPN, I put the IP address of the VPN into the proxy settings of the
10 program and that makes it use the VPN.  If I want it to not use the VPN,
11 I leave the settings as they are now.  Am I understanding this correctly?
12
13 Also, the package I'm getting is 500Mbs/sec.  What speeds should I
14 really expect?  If memory serves me right, that is about 50MBs/sec, note
15 the size of the B.  By the way, that is about 50 times faster than what
16 I have now.  Also, up and down is the same.  Current up stream is a lot
17 smaller.  Basically, I can upload files as fast as I download them.  Now
18 I can upload videos or something.
19
20 I'm looking at Surfshark and NordVPN.  Both seem to be good and at a
21 decent price.  Anyone used one or both of these?
22
23 Just trying to make sure I'm on the right path.
24
25 Thanks.
26
27 Dale
28
30
31 P. S.  Seamonkey is still not fetching emails automatically, I'm waiting
32 on a upgrade to see if it gets fixed then.  If not, revive old thread
33 and bring out the hammer.  ;-)