From: gottlieb@×××.edu
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] syslog-ng: how to read the log files
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2015 22:43:38
1 On Wed, Feb 18 2015, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
2
3 > On Wed, Feb 18, 2015 at 12:22 PM, <gottlieb@×××.edu> wrote:
4 >>
5 >> On Tue, Feb 17 2015, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
6 >>
7 >> > On Tue, Feb 17, 2015 at 2:29 PM, <covici@××××××××××.com> wrote:
8 >> >>
9 >> >> I wonder if the OP is using systemd and trying to read the journal
10 >> >> files?
11 >> >
12 >> > Those live under /var/lib/journal (which you need to create; Gentoo
13 >> > doesn't do it by default last time I saw),
14 >>
15 >> Wow! I just checked and indeed I do not have /var/lib/journal.
16 >> I run systemd (thanks to canek) and use journalctl, which I *thought*
17 >> was displaying the journal).
18 >
19 > The journal works without permanent storage (one more of its many
20 > advantages); in that case, it keeps a small amount of logs in memory (you
21 > can set how much memory to reserve for it).
22 >
23 >> Need I make some changes?
24 >
25 > Only if you want to have logs in permanent storage. In that case, you only
26 > need to create the /var/log/journal dir with systemd-journal GID, and 2755
27 > permissions (with setgid). systemd-journald will automatically rotate the
28 > logs when they use 10% of the free disk available (you can also change
29 > that).
30 >
31 > Since the logs are compressed and indexed, each entry on them is accesible
32 > in O(1), and they don't use that much space (with 280 megabytes reserved in
33 > my laptop for journal logs, I have logs since Sep 20, 2014; that's 5 months
34 > worth of logs, although my laptop doesn't run that many daemons).
35 >
36 > Anyway, the journal works perfectly without permanent storage (as you can
37 > see); if you are happy that way, you don't need to enable it.
38 >
39 > Regards.
40 > --
41 > Canek Peláez Valdés
42
43 Thank you for another lucid explanation.
44 allan