From: "Hemmann
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: SOLVED: Recover from LVM errors? (Was: Re: [gentoo-user] Help - system reboots while compiling)
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 11:27:16
1 On Donnerstag, 29. März 2007, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
2
3 > I think you misread me. I'm interested in ext4, and disappointed in
4 > NameSys'
5 > handling of reiser4. I love the *idea* of reiser4, but being able the
6 > resize
7 > the filesystem is *mandatory* for my setup, and I don't get that with
8 > reiser4. However, forward movement on a resizer (and other, currently
9 > vaporware, filesystem features/utilties) had been completely abandoned to
10 > the
11 > effort of getting reiser4 mainlined, well before Hans' legal troubles
12 > started. I feel this was/is a mistake; I have no problem running
13 > mm-sources
14 > when it has a feature I desire. But with the filesystem as it is I can't
15 > actually use it for more than testing.
16
17 That is your point of view.
18
19 For others, 'Resizing' is something that is not needed and never used. But
20 being in mainline is mandatory! -mm Kernels are full of experimental stuff,
21 highly unstable and very buggy. Nothing you can really trust. So as long as
22 something does not show up in the Linus' Kernel, it is not usable. And that
23 does not cover the testing something gets in Linus' kernel, that is simply
24 not there with -mm kernels.
27 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list