From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: nouveau loads but freezes later, nvidia won't load
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2010 20:10:38
1 >> I've been using the nouveau video driver for a while, but lately video
2 >> has been freezing with X at 100% CPU and the only way out seems to be
3 >> ssh'ing in and rebooting.
4 >
5 > Not that it will help with your bug, but I'm curious to know what video
6 > hardware you're using.  I had the same problem with my ancient nv34 card,
7 > which got fixed a few weeks ago in Linus's git kernel.
8
9 I'm not sure of the actual chip, but I get this from lspci -v:
10
11 nVidia Corporation C77 [GeForce 8100 / nForce 720a]
12
13 It's an onboard chip on my motherboard. Can you tell me in what
14 version of the Linux kernel you found the problem to be solved?
15
16 >> I tried to switch to the nvidia driver but X won't load and Xorg.0.log
17 >> says it can't find a CorePointer device...
18 >
19 > Not sure why the nvidia driver would be related to that, unless maybe
20 > you're using a different xorg.conf for nvidia.
21 >
22 > Unless you have some weird pointing devices, you should no longer need
23 > any input section in xorg.conf for either keyboard or mouse -- delete any
24 > references to keyboard or mouse, and install the xf86-input-evdev package.
25 > Your X server should find and use the evdev driver automatically, without
26 > any help from xorg.conf.
27
28 I removed nouveau support from the kernel and nvidia loads properly.
29 Strange that I get CorePointer messages if nouveau is loaded when
30 nvidia tries to load. Those messages don't appear in the log after
31 removing nouveau and loading nvidia. Weird.
32
33 You actually solved this for me when you asked about the video chip.
34 When I looked in lspci -v, I noticed that it said the nouveau driver
35 was in use and that is what prompted me to remove it from the kernel.
36
37 Thanks,
38 Grant