From: lngndvs@×××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Inconsistent mountpoint for /
Date: Sat, 11 Jul 2009 00:16:30
1 I recently reported that I am suffering random reboots. I have now
2 discovered an inconsistency in the reporting of the mount point of the
3 root directory of my Gentoo install. First a little history:
4
5 I spent about two and a half weeks trying to install ANYTHING that
6 would remain stable and useable. Finally Gentoo is running well.
7 Repeatedly, I was unable to understand how grub was installing the
8 MBR, or where. I had three SATA drives and one ATA drive, and I
9 removed the ATA drive to get rid of the problem of naming of drives
10 inconsistently. So far so good; however, the SATA drives are booted
11 in order that they are named in the BIOS, so I wasn't certain which
12 drive the MBR was being installed on.
13
14 Leaving out many details... Just when I was about to give up, I
15 discovered that if I changed the boot order, a different grub
16 appeared. One from Gentoo and one from Ubuntu. After a pitched
17 battle, I was finally able to settle on Gentoo, and it's running
18 pretty well. Except for random reboots.
19
20 I just noticed that the return from # df is as follows, without any
21 specific drive: designation appearing for / :
22
23 spineless ulod # df
24 Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
25 rootfs 105392960 19272948 80766360 20% /
26 /dev/root 105392960 19272948 80766360 20% /
27 rc-svcdir 1024 76 948 8% /lib64/rc/init.d
28 udev 10240 212 10028 3% /dev
29 shm 1027568 0 1027568 0% /dev/shm
30 /dev/sdb6 62144164 45189664 13797732 77% /home
31
32 After some investigation, I found the following inconsistent
33 indentification of the / directory's physical location:
34
35 | | / partition |
36 | where represented | 500GB HDD represented as |
37 |----------------------------+--------------------------|
38 | /boot/grub.conf "root" | (hd1,0) |
39 | /boot/grub.con kernel line | root=/dev/sda5 |
40 | /etc/fstab | /devsdb5/ |
41 | /etc/mtab | /dev/root |
42 | sfdisk -l | /dev/sda5 |
43 | /df | /dev/root |
44 | | |
47 In grub, it is located first as hd1 (/dev/sdb) and then as
48 /dev/sda5. That is where I want it to be. This is necessary
49 apparently because grub would see it on /dev/sdb at first, but once
50 the kernel boots, the drive would physically be /dev/sda.
51
52 The identifation of this partition in /etc/fstab as /dev/sdb5, is
53 apparently not being honored? I'm asking, because I am not well
54 versed in the events in the boot order.
55
56 df then reports it as /dev/root, ignoring the device id. The
57 partition is seen by sfdisk as /dev/sda5, as it also is by gparted.
58
59 So, am I safe to rename this partition in /etc/fstab as /dev/sda5?
60
61 Secondly, would this help explain random reboots?
62
63 I now plan to simplify the arrangement, and reorganize all of the
64 active partitions on a single drive. That's another story.
65
66 Thank you,
67
68 Alan