From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [WAY OT] GUI programming for Linux (and Windows possibly)
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2009 17:16:30
1 On Sun, Jun 28, 2009 at 10:09 AM, pk<peterk2@××××××××.se> wrote:
2 > Mark Knecht wrote:
3 >
4 >>    These days I'm trading stock index futures for a living. I have
5 >> data files that I analyze in Excel over the weekend to help me make
6 >> decisions about how to trade the coming week, but I'm always fighting
7 >> Excel as it really isn't intended for the sort of math I want to do.
8 >> The math's not difficult, but I need to look at various ranges,
9 >> manage, sort and extract data from arrays, and amd then create charts.
10 >> This is getting pretty difficult in Excel these days so I've started
11 >> to wonder about writing a simple app to do what I need to do. It's not
12 >> generally difficult stuff but it requires (or I prefer) a lot of small
13 >> charts. I'm vaguely familiar with C & Pascal, but haven't programmed
14 >> in years. I don't know C++ at all. I was trained as an EE.
15 >
16 > Have you looked at using Octave? It's a Matlab clone (and thus very
17 > C-like), can output to Gnuplot and you can also create filters of your
18 > own and output to Graphviz. The language R can perhaps also be of use,
19 > depending on what you wish to accomplish...
20
21 I haven't looked at Octave. I was thinking I should program a stand
22 alone app and not really use an existing app. It's jsut where my head
23 was.
26 >>    So the main question is what sort of language (and possibly
27 >> programming environment) should a complete novice look at to get his
28 >> feet wet with GUI programming. I'd like something fairly light -
29 >> performance probably won't be a huge problem - that I could run under
30 >> Cygwin or maybe compile to run native in Windows should that ever
31 >> become useful. For now it's probably a relatively simple Linux app
32 >> that I'd likely run once a week on Saturday morning on 15 to 20
33 >> databases I collect on Friday night.
34 >
35 > Why Windows? I'm merely curious, not trying to criticize...
38 No offense taken. All the trading is done on the Windows platform
39 using proprietary trading platform apps. All the datafiles are
40 therefore sitting in Windows and it just seems easier to just run a
41 small app of my own there. I sometimes travel but still need to trade
42 so my laptop would be running Windows at that time. I'd rather do my
43 learning in the Linux environment. Less risk I'll blow away my whole
44 machines, etc., and generally a nicer group of people cannot be found.
45 :-)
46
47 - Mark