From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Packet sniffing broken recently?
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2011 01:04:40
1 Sometime in the last month or so (when I wasn't looking) my
2 ~x86 and ~amd64 machines quit working when I try to run
3 wireshark or tcpdump, etc, but I don't know exactly when
4 or why. (My amd64 machine still sniffs packets normally.)
5
6 I get this same error from any packet sniffing app:
7
8 Can't open netlink socket 93:Protocol not supported
9
10 Strace shows that this is the failing system call:
11
12 socket(PF_NETLINK, SOCK_RAW, 12) = -1 EPROTONOSUPPORT (Protocol not supported)
13
14 That makes me think of some missing kernel config that may
15 have been added or modified in recent kernels, so I tried
16 gentoo-sources-3.0.6 (same as my working amd64 machine) with
17 no joy. Same error message.
18
19 Have I missed some important gentoo bulletin about networking
20 recently? Anyone have working packet sniffing on ~arch?